Recipe: Grilled Vegetable SkewersMonday, August 20, 2012
These veggies skewers are packed with good-for-you nutrients for fewer than 130 calories per serving. I served them up this weekend along with barbecued chicken, hot dogs, and my Israeli-Style Salad.
Choosing the Ingredients
- Tomatoes: You can find them now at your local farmers’ market. To store, keep on the counter top—not the refrigerator!
- Bell peppers: Look for peppers that are bright, shiny and firm. Avoid ones with bruises or those that are shriveled.
- Red onion: Choose round and firm onions and avoid those that are moldy or bruised. Once sliced, place in a sealed container or releasable plastic bag and place in the refrigerator. This will avoid other foods from absorbing an onion odor.
- Mushrooms: Look for firm mushrooms that are evenly colored. Store in a paper bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Honey: I use clover honey from my local farmer’s market – it has a mild flavor that blends well with many dishes.
Grilled Vegetable Skewers
Serves: 4 (2 skewers per serving)
16 cherry tomatoes
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
¾ medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
8 button mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8 wooden skewers
Place all vegetables in a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, honey, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour marinade over vegetables; mix to evenly coat. Cover vegetable bowl and let marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Soak wooden skewers in water for 10-15 minutes. Preheat grill. Thread the vegetables in any order desired. Each skewer should have 2 pieces each of green peppers, yellow pepper, onion, tomato and mushroom. Grill skewers for 10-15 minutes, turning several times, until vegetables are tender and edges are slightly browned.
Nutrition info per serving:
Total Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Total Carbohydrate: 15 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Sodium: 303 milligrams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Fiber: 3 grams