23 Jan Book Giveaway: 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes
For week 3 of my healthy book giveaway, you’re in for a special treat! My fellow registered dietitian and award-winning cookbook author Jackie Newgent has just released her latest cookbook 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes. Jackie is a natural culinary nutritionist who believes in creating recipes using real food and making nutritious food taste delicious, which she sure knows how to do! Get a sneak peak into her new book, then enter to win your own copy.
About 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes
It’s true, there really are 1,000 recipes in this comprehensive cookbook and Jackie did indeed test every one of them to ensure they would entice your taste buds. These recipes aren’t only delicious, but each provides fewer than 500 calories per serving. Best of all, even a kitchen novice will have no trouble whipping them up. Jackie’s recipes will help you meet your fruit and veggie goals, as each recipe is built upon mouthwatering plant-based ingredients. This book is not about cutting out food groups or deprivation, but rather a healthy approach to eating well and preparing food your whole family will love. I’ve already made Mom’s Banana Bread and Ginger Chicken, Broccoli and Oyster Mushroom Stir-Fry, which were thoroughly by my entire family!
Tijuana Turkey “Lasagna” Verde
Makes 4 servings: 1 wedge (1⁄4 pie) each
A bit of lusciousness is a good thing for keep¬ing you happy while following a healthful eating plan. The calories are still kept in check in this layered Mexican-flavored dish by using tangy fat-free Greek yogurt, lean turkey, and a gener¬ous amount of fresh tomatoes. You’ll enjoy every zesty, bubbly, cheesy bite.
2 teaspoons grapeseed or peanut oil
10 1⁄2 ounces ground turkey (about 94% lean)
1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
1⁄2 cup tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
1⁄3 cup + 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
2⁄3 cup fat-free or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
1⁄4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
4 (6-inch) stone-ground corn tortillas, halved
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved, or grape tomatoes
1 1⁄4 cups shredded pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and salt and sauté until the turkey is crumbled and brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the salsa and 1⁄3 cup of the cilantro. Set aside.
- Whisk together the yogurt, sour cream, lime juice, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Arrange in a 9-inch deep-sided pie dish the fol¬lowing: 4 pieces of the tortillas, half of the yogurt mixture, half of the turkey mixture, half of the tomatoes (round side up), and half of the cheese. Repeat.
- Bake in the oven until the layered mixture is hot and bubbly, cheese is fully melted and lightly browned, and tomatoes are fully roasted and gently caramelized, about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Cut the round “lasagna” into four wedges, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro, and serve.
Per serving: 390 calories, 23g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 95mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 19g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 5g sugars, 29g protein
Reprinted with permission from 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)
Enter to Win!
One lucky winner will win a copy of Jackie’s new cookbook 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes
Giveaway begins: Wednesday January 23, 2013 at 12:00PM ET
Giveaway ends: Thursday January 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM ET
Tell me in the comments area “What is your biggest challenge to cooking healthy meals?”
For additional entries do any or all of the below and come back and create a new comment to tell me. Use a separate new comment for each or it will only count as one entry.
- Follow me on twitter
- Like me on Facebook
- Follow Jackie Newgent on twitter
- Like Jackie Newgent on Facebook
- Copy and paste this tweet, then come back and comment with the link of your tweet. (allowed only once per day)
Enter to win @jackienewgent new book 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes from @tobyamidor http://tobyamidornutrition.com/?p=1868 #giveaway
When entering, be sure to include your email address in the “Email” field when posting your comment so I can let you know if you won. You do not need to purchase anything to win. Only open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. states, D.C. or Puerto Rico, and you must be at least 18 years of age to win. Jackie Newgent provided me with a book for this review and has sponsored the prize offered.