Big Game, Big Taste, Little Calories: Buffalo Quinoa Crusted Chicken TendersThursday, January 29, 2015
By Elizabeth Canepari, MS, RD, Contributing Blogger
Ah, the buffalo wing. What’s football without it? These crispy tenders– breaded with a protein and vitamin packed ancient whole grain!– provide the same spicy kick as a traditional wing without the deep fried guilt. Plus, boneless tenders are easier to eat and provide plenty of lean protein and B vitamins. Serve with a low fat blue cheese dip and celery for a new take on an old favorite.
Buffalo Quinoa Crusted Chicken Tenders
Serving size: 2 tenders
1 (5.3 ounce) container nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
Juice of half a lemon
1 pound skinless chicken tenders
½ cup dry quinoa
¾ cup water
¼ cup hot sauce
Nonstick cooking oil
1. In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt and lemon juice. Add chicken and toss until coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and no longer than 3 hours.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the water, quinoa and hot sauce to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking oil.
4. Spread cooked quinoa in a thin layer on prepared a baking sheet and bake until the quinoa is dry and crumbly, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from yogurt mixture shaking off excess yogurt. Dredge the chicken with quinoa bread crumbs and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet lined with foil for easy clean up.
5. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake until crispy and thermometer reads 160°F, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 145, Total fat: 2 gram, Saturated fat: 0 gram, Carbohydrates: 15 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugar: 1 grams, Protein: 16 grams, Cholesterol: 28 milligrams, Sodium: 129 milligramsFiled under Recipes | Comments: 1