22 Mar Healthy Snacks To Curb Cravings
By Sheridan Jonas, Contributing Blogger
We all have that time of day where our unhealthy snack cravings kick in. While snacking on cookies, candy or chips may sound appealing, it can also be damaging to your health. Instead, there are many sweet and savory snack that can curb your mid-day hunger without derailing your healthy eating habits. Here are some healthy go-to options that will help to stay in line with your diet.
- Popcorn: This whole grain snack is both low in calories and high in fiber. Try using an air popper to eat it in its most natural form.
- Greek yogurt dips: Higher in protein and lower in calories than most comparable cream based dips, it makes a perfect addition to veggie slices or whole grain pita chips. This easy swap will save on calories, and satisfy that crunchy, savory craving.
- Roasted chickpeas: An easy high protein snack option, roasted chickpeas can be found prepackaged in the grocery store or can be homemade. To make your own roasted chickpeas, wash and drain canned chickpeas and blot dry. Toss with olive oil and any additionally seasonings you choose. Bake in a 450-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rice Cakes: This snack is low in calories and come in a variety of flavors.. They are also a great vessel for nutrient-packed peanut butter topped bananas or berries.
- Yogurt covered fruits: If your looking for something more than fresh fruit, go for a yogurt covered dried fruit. They will be much lower in calories that chocolate covered fruit and will still satisfy you sweet tooth. If you choose to purchase them, then read the label and avoid any made with hydrogenated fats. You can also make your own at home by dipping your favorite dried fruit in yogurt, placing on wax paper on a sheet pan and then placing in the refrigerator to set.
- Homemade Trail mix: Make your own trail mix with dried fruit, granola, nuts, and hint of something chocolate. Just be mindful of your portion sizes because the calories in trail mix can really add up quickly.
Find out more about Sheridan here.