22 Jul Turkey Meatballs with Carrots over Zucchini Noodles
Turkey Meatballs with Carrots over Zucchini Noodles
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 container
- Calories: 458
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 992mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 29g
Recipe type: Main Dishes (Meat, Chicken, Fish)
Copyright Toby Amidor, Smart Meal Prep for Beginners, Rockridge Press, 2018. Photo courtesy of Elysa Weitala
For the Turkey meatballs
- 1 pound of ground turkey (90% to 94% lean)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 servings (6 cups) of Zucchini Noodles with Lemon Vinaigrette (recipes below)
- 4 servings (2 cups) Chunky tomato sauce (recipe below)
For the Zucchini Noodles
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini, or 6 cups precut zucchini noodles
For the Chunky Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- To make the Meatballs: In a large bowl mix together the turkey, carrots, onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Shape 1 heaping teaspoon of turkey mixture into a ball, and place it on a large plate. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make about 20 meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the meatballs and cook, covered, turning the meatballs occasionally until browned on all sides and a thermometer inserted into the meatballs reads 165 degrees F, 15-18 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meatballs to a clean plate.
- Into each 4 containers, place 1½ cups of Zucchini Noodles with Lemon Vinaigrette and top with 5 meatballs and ½ cup of Chunky Tomato sauce
- To make the Zucchini noodles: In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, olive oil, honey, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper
- Using a spiralizer, make zucchini noodles and add to the bowl with the lemon vinaigrette Toss to combine.
- Into each of the 4 containers, place 1 ½ cups noodles.
- To make the Chunky Tomato Sauce: In a medium pot over medium heat, heat the oil until it shimmers. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the whole and crushed tomatoes, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes as they cook. Stir in the salt, pepper, and basil.