28 Aug Shepherd’s Pie with French Lentils and Chard
Shepherd’s Pie with French Lentils and Chard
By: Gail Watson, Contributing Blogger
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: per serving
- Calories: 478
- Fat: 5 grams
- Saturated fat: 1 gram
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 60 grams
- Sugar: 10 grams
- Sodium: 634 milligrams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 20 grams
- Cholesterol: 8 milligrams
These blue-green beauties don’t turn to mush when you cook them and are packed with protein and fiber. In fact, this dish provides about one-third of your daily fiber needs. The chard provides both vitamins A and K, while the reduced fat buttermilk will make your mashed potatoes tangy and creamy.
- 1 ½ pounds yukon gold potatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 ½ cups dry French Lentils (as opposed to cooked)
- 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped, or 2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium or 28 ounces of canned)
- 2 cups of chopped chard leaves (about 4 ounces)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (about one-quarter of a bunch)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan (like Sartori Pastorale)
- Peel and chop potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a separate pot, place lentils and 3 cups of water to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. When lentils are cooked, drain and set aside.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain, reserving a cup or two of the water, and return to the pot. Add buttermilk and salt and mash until smooth, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚. While the lentils and potatoes are cooking, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs, tomatoes, chard, Worcestershire sauce, honey and pepper flakes, if using. Cook until the chard is mostly cooked and a little underdone, about 2 minutes. Add the lentils, salt and pepper.
- Place the lentil filling into an 8”x10” baking dish. Warm the potatoes over the stove, adding reserved water to create a smooth consistency if necessary. Spoon potatoes over the lentils, and top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes or until the potatoes are browned.