16 Oct Win a Cabot Cheese Gift Pack!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again—cheese is hands down one of my favorite foods. It’s not only delicious, but it’s an excellent source of calcium which is crucial for healthy bones. I definitely snack on cheese and recommend it to my clients, but I also use it to liven up many dishes. Check out creative ways to enjoy cheese and then enter to win a delicious prize from Cabot cheese.
Nutrition Low Down
Cabot sells award winning Vermont cheddar cheese from class and flavored cheddars to slightly aged and light varieties. The cheeses are both gluten and lactose free.
One ounce of Cabot mild cheddar has 110 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 7 grams of protein. It also contains 20% and 6% of your daily recommended dose of calcium and vitamin A, respectively. Lower calorie varieties are available, but when cooking with cheese it’s important to remember you can use regular varieties since a little goes a long way.
There is emerging evidence which suggests that dairy can help lower blood pressure and can aid in weight management. These are two more good reasons to enjoy cheese as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
Creative Ways to Enjoy Cabot
While a classic grilled cheese will bring on a round of applause from the kiddos, there are many more ways to enjoy cheese you may not have thought of:
- Baked into muffins for a savory twist
- Melted into dips
- Baked into veggie burgers
- Stirred into soups
- Baked into brownies and cakes
- Chopped into salads
- Combined with flour to coat fish and chicken (recipe below)
- Mixed into pancakes
- Added to quiches and frittatas
- Whipped into mashed potatoes
Baked Chicken Strips
Cabot shared with us a delicious recipe for Baked Chicken Strips. You can find additional recipes for all the ideas above on their website.
Nonstick cooking spray
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
Pinch ground black pepper
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup reduced fat (2%) milk
1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
4 ounces Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
6 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In three separate bowls:
– mix together flour, salt and pepper
– beat together egg whites and milk
– mix together cornflakes and cheese
3. Dip chicken strips first into flour, then into egg white mixture, then into cornflake mixture, turning to coat. Place in baking dish. (Discard any unused mixture.)
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until nicely browned, turning over after about 12 minutes. Serve with ketchup or barbecue sauce if desired.
Nutrition Info (per serving): Calories 291; Total Fat 11 grams; Saturated Fat 4 grams; Cholesterol 65 milligrams; Sodium 282 milligrams; Carbohydrates 19 grams; Dietary Fiber <1 gram; Protein 28 grams; Calcium 150 milligrams;
Enter to Win!
The prize includes a $25 gift box of award-winning regular and reduced fat Cabot cheeses:
- (2) 8 ounces of 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar
- (2) 8 ounces of sharp cheddar
- (2) 8 ounces of extra sharp cheddar
- (2) 8 ounces of seriously sharp cheddar
Giveaway begins: Tuesday October 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM ET
Giveaway ends: Wednesday October 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM ET
Tell me in the comments area “What is your favorite way to enjoy cheese?”
For additional entries do any or all of the below and come back and create a new comment to tell me. Use a separate new comment for each or it will only count as one entry.
- Follow me on twitter
- Like me on Facebook
- Like Cabot on Facebook
- Follow Cabot on twitter
- Follow Cabot’s registered dietitians on twitter
- Copy and paste this tweet, then come back and comment with the link of your tweet. (allowed only once per day)
Enter for your chance to win @cabotcoop @cabotRD #cheese #giveaway https://tobyamidornutrition.com/?p=1626 @tobyamidor
When entering, be sure to include your email address in the “Email” field when posting your comment so I can let you know if you won. You do not need to purchase anything to win. Only open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. states, D.C. or Puerto Rico, and you must be at least 18 years of age to win. Cabot cheese http://www.cabotcheese.coop provided me with product for this review, has sponsored the prize offered and is responsible for shipping the prize.