06 Dec Smart Holiday Sipping
When it comes to the holidays, folks often focus on the extra calories that creep into their diets through cookies, pie and extra helpings of stuffing. They often fail to account for liquid calories that can quickly add up this time of year. The issue with liquid calories is that they don’t fill you up the same way solid food does, which means you don’t eat any less food to compensate. In fact, alcohol can increase your appetite and food intake. Between the fancy coffeehouse hot drinks and fun party cocktails, be sure to keep track of what’s in your glass this holiday season.
Think Before You Drink….
Here are the stats on favorite holiday bevvies:
- Eggnog (8 fluid ounces): 343 calories, 19 grams fat
- Starbuck’s White Chocolate Peppermint mocha (Grande): 520 calories, 18 grams fat
- Hot chocolate with whole milk & whipped cream (16 fluid ounces): 410 calories, 20 grams fat
- White wine (8 fluid ounces): 185 calories, 0 grams fat
- Apple cider (8 fluid ounces): 120 calories, 0 grams fat
- Champagne (8 fluid ounces): 182 calories, 0 grams fat
- Mud Slide (8 fluid ounces): 590 calories, 16 grams fat
Be a Smart Sipper
To keep your calories in check this holiday season, keep these tips in mind:
- Don’t drink alcohol on an empty stomach.
- Factor in liquid calories when selecting meal choices. Oftentimes I tell clients to skip the bread if they’re drinking a glass of wine.
- When consuming alcohol, drink a glass of water or seltzer in between cocktails to slow down intake and prevent dehydration.
- Go light whenever possible. Choose nonfat or low fat milk for lattes and hot chocolate and light versions of eggnog.
- Watch out for added sugar and fat. Skip the syrups and whipped cream, which can pack an extra 70 to 100 calories per serving.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Moderation is key.
Rethink Your Drink
Try some of these lower-cal options that will still leave you feeling festive:
- Seltzer water with a splash of cranberry and lime juice.
- My kid-friendly Cranberry Spritzer
- Small nonfat latte with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Apple cinnamon herbal tea with a teaspoon of honey.
- White wine spritzer (3 fluid ounces of white wine plus 2 fluid ounces of sparkling water)
- 12 fluid ounces (1 bottle) of light beer
Wishing you a happy and healthy holiday season!
I WANNA KNOW: What’s your holiday bevvie of choice?