21 Oct Nuts for Nut Butters
While I love a good PB&J sandwich, the world of nut butters now offers choices far beyond peanut butter. With somewhat equivalent nutrition stats when it comes to calories and fat, the nutritional differences are found in the vitamins and minerals each offers up. Here are a few of my favorite nut butters and their nutritional highlights.
All the nutrition facts are provided for 1 tablespoon.
- Peanut butter: Calories 95; Fat 8 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein 3.5 grams; Fiber 1.5 grams
- Almond butter: Calories 100; Fat 9 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein 3.5 grams; Fiber 2 grams
- Walnut butter: Calories 100; Fat 9.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein 2.5 grams; Fiber 1 gram
- Cashew butter: Calories 90; Fat 7.5 grams; Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams; Protein 3 grams; Fiber 0.5 grams
- Pecan butter: Calories 100; Fat 10 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein 1.5 grams; Fiber 1.5 grams
High in protein like peanut butter, this nut butter wins the fiber award. It also contains about 27% of your daily recommended dose of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, and contains a healthy dose of magnesium and iron.
This nut butter may be slightly lower in protein and higher in fat than some of the others, but it’s rich in omega-3 fat as walnuts are the best vegetarian source of this heart healthy fat! Omega-3 fats also have been shown to help reduce inflammation.
Recommended brand: Artisana Walnut Butter
Cashew Nut Butter
While it scores low on the fiber list, it contains plenty of the muscle and bone friendly mineral magnesium, as well as plenty of essential amino acids.
Packed with Vitamin A, and heart healthy potassium, this nut butter is also highest in fat. Don’t be afraid to add this one into your nut butter repertoire, but be mindful of portions. Stick to 1 to 2 tablespoons for a snack or meal, respectively.
Recommended brand: Artisana Pecan Butter
Not crazy for nuts? There are plenty of seed based butters out there that can also do the trick. Check out my post on sesame butter for a nut-free option.
Let’s Discuss: Which nut butter do you enjoy?