23 Aug My 5 Go-To Post-Workout Snacks
By Toby Amidor, MS, RD
I have partnered with Dannon to help promote Oikos. I have been compensated for my time commitment to review Oikos. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.
Refueling your body post workout is a key component to any exercise regime and is crucial for proper recovery of muscles. Timing is also important, with 30-60 minutes post workout being the ideal window to refuel. When it comes to recovery, protein is one of the essential nutrients our body needs to aid in muscle repair and growth so be sure to include a healthy source.
Here are my 5 go-to snacks that will leave your taste buds satisfied and your muscles replenished.
1. Yogurt Drinks (pictured above)– With 10g of protein and easily transportable, Oikos Nonfat Yogurt Drinks are my go-to snack whenever I am on the go after hitting the gym or a tennis match. The protein is not only good for muscle recovery, but it helps keep me satiated in between meals. My favorite lately has been the vanilla flavor, but they are all good.
2. Peanut butter and banana on a brown rice cake – This is an easy snack to whip up and is so satisfying. Feel free to mix and match with different nut butters and fruit – almond butter and blueberries is another favorite combo.
3. Greek Nonfat Yogurt – I love yogurt post workout because it’s a source of complete, high quality protein that provides all nine essential amino acids, which the body needs but can’t make on its own. I enjoy Oikos Triple Zero on its own, or topped with strawberries or a sprinkle of granola.
4. Hummus and whole grain pita – I will eat hummus anytime of the day! Pair it with whole grain pita bread or crackers and you have a perfect recovery snack. Top with some cucumber or radish slices for a healthy crunch.
5. Trail mix – I like to make my own with whatever I have on hand – think nuts, seeds, dried fruit, whole grain cereal, and unsweetened coconut flakes. I fill a big container and then put it in individual bags as needed for easy snacking.