19 Jun Welcome Summer with Pomegranate-Lime-Mint Popsicles
This post was sponsored by NOW® Foods. All thoughts are my own.
When I was a girl summers meant spending two months in Israel on the beach. My mom would fly my siblings and I over and rent an apartment for two months. Every morning we would head to the beach packed with cream cheese and cucumber sandwiches. Dessert was always the highlight of the day. I would get a pomegranate popsicle from the popsicle guy who walked around the beach. Upon returning to the U.S., I never found any pomegranate popsicles and had to wait a whole 10 months to enjoy their deliciousness.
Many experiences in life we connect with food. In my case, my childhood summers are connected with pomegranate popsicles. As I won’t be heading to Israel anytime soon, I wanted to recreate my fondest childhood food memory with a modern day twist – the result are these Pomegranate-Lime-Mint Popsicles.
These popsicles have the following ingredients: pomegranate juice, Manuka honey, lime juice, fresh mint, and inulin prebiotic. Here’s why each of these ingredients are unique in their own way:
- Pomegranate Juice: 100% pomegranate juice adds a flavor and antioxidant punch. Antioxidants help combat free radicals that can cause damage to your body over time. There has also been some early research that should the potential impact of polyphenol antioxidants found in pomegranate juice and memory and cognition.
- Greek Yogurt: Greek yogurt adds protein, calcium, and live and active bacteria which may act as probiotics. It also adds a frothiness to the popsicles.
- Manuka Honey: NOW Real Foods® Manuka Honey comes from hardworking bees collecting nectar in New Zealand’s pristine forests. It has a delightful, creamy texture for a smooth, thick, robust honey that balances the tartness of the pomegranate juice. Manuka Honey is known for its antibacterial, antiviral, and antioxidant overall health benefits. NOW Real Foods® Manuka Honey has a 250 MGO rating. MGO indicates how much methylglyoxal is in the honey, a compound that naturally occurs in Manuka honey to give it its antimicrobial potency. The higher the potency, the more benefits Manuka Honey could potentially offer. A MGO rating of 250 means that is has 250 mg per kg of methylglyoxal.
- Lime Juice: The tartness of the freshly squeezed lime adds more flavors to awaken your taste buds. It also provides a good source of the antioxidant vitamin C.
- Fresh Mint: Peak season for mint is during late spring and summer. It lends a delicious flavor and a handful of nutrients like vitamin A, folate, calcium, and potassium. It also provides phytonutrients, or natural plant compounds, called phenols that are strong antioxidants. Research has found that the antioxidants in mint may help prevent the hardening of the arteries that lead to strokes and heart attacks.
- Inulin Prebiotic: This fructooligosaccharide is a soluble prebiotic fiber that help nourishes friendly bacteria. This, in turn, helps maintain intestinal health and function.* The powder has a pleasant flavor that adds a mild sweetness to the popsicles, but has a very low glycemic index. The powder is certified USDA organic and non-GMO project verified.
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 52
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 15 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 1 mg
- 1½ cups 100% pomegranate juice
- ¾ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons NOW Foods® Manuka Honey
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped mint leaves
- Juice of 3 limes (about 6 tablespoons)
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons NOW Organic Inulin Prebiotic Pure Powder
- Combine the pomegranate juice, Greek yogurt, honey, mint, lime juice, lime zest, and inulin in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Evenly distribute the mixture into 8 standard ice pop molds and insert a popsicle stick into each. Freeze until set, at least 4 hours.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.