05 Feb Book Review: The Menopause Diet Plan
Every day, 6,000 women in the United States reach menopause, resulting in over 2 million a year. Menopause can result in weight gain, hot flashes, sleep difficulties, mood swings, changes in digestion, muscle loss, and osteoporosis. Eating a balanced eating plan, along with regular physical activity, can help support better health and ease the journey into menopause. That’s what The Menopause Diet Plan is all about.
About the Cookbook
The Menopause Diet Plan is divided up into different health topics such as weight management, heart health, diabetes, brain health, cancer, and bone health. With each chapter, authors Hillary Wright, M. Ed, RDN and Elizabeth Ward, MS, RDN discuss foods and nutrients to focus on in order to lower the risk of developing these conditions. The authors also discuss fluids and beverages, physical activity, dietary supplements and eating tips.
The last section of the book is devoted to food and nutrition questions along with recipes and sample meal plans. The authors break down The Menopause Diet Plan method and provide suggestions for what to eat in each food group. Delicious recipes such as Berry and Almond Overnight Oats and Beef and Mushroom Chili are included along with this easy recipe for Grilled Chicken and Walnut Pesto.
- Serving size: 1 chicken
- Calories: 348
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Sodium: 323 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Cholesterol: 109 mg
- 16 ounces grilled boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Place basil, walnuts, garlic, salt, lemon juice, cheese, and oil in a food processor and blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the yogurt and red pepper flakes and blend for another 15-20 seconds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve chicken topped with pesto sauce.