25 May Eggs Benedict with Lighter Hollandaise Sauce
Eggs Benedict with Lighter Hollandaise Sauce
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 English muffin half
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 16 grams
- Saturated fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 16 grams
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Sodium: 301 milligrams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 15 grams
- Cholesterol: 295 milligrams
Recipes from THE GREEK YOGURT KITCHEN by Toby Amidor. Copyright © 2014 by Toby Amidor. Used with permission by Grand Central Publishing. All rights reserved.
- 2 teaspoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices turkey bacon (about ¼ pound)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 medium asparagus spears, tough ends snapped off
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add the vinegar and lower the heat until it is no longer at a rolling boil. Crack an egg into a small cup, dish, or wineglass. Holding it near the surface of the water, gently slide the egg into the hot water. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cover the saucepan and allow the eggs to cook for exactly 6 minutes. Remove each egg carefully with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Toast the English muffins.
- Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray and heat it over medium heat. Cook the bacon until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place a slice of bacon on each toasted English muffin half.
- In the same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the asparagus, cover the pan, and cook, tossing occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon butter with the yogurt, egg yolks, lemon juice, mustard, cayenne, and salt. Transfer the mixture to the top of a double boiler, set it over simmering water, and heat it, whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat.
- To assemble the dish, place 3 asparagus spears over the bacon on each muffin half, and top with 1 poached egg and 2 tablespoons of the hollandaise sauce.