Celebrating National Registered Dietitian DayWednesday, March 13, 2013
By Gail Watson, contributing blogger
March is National Nutrition Month, and Wednesday March 13, is Registered Dietitian Day. Registered dietitians (RD) around the country commit themselves to improving the health of their clients and communities. Registered Dietitian Day gives us a chance to herald the hard work and dedication of the amazing people who do this good work every day.
Recognizing 5 Registered Dietitians
It’s not so easy to choose, but there 5 RD’s shine in everything they do and deserve some love on this RD Day.
- Keri Gans, MS, RD, CDN is a media personality and author of The Small Change Diet. She is a past-spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), past-president of The New York State Dietetic Association, and has a private practice in Manhattan. Her writing has been featured in national publications, and has made appearances on The Dr. Oz Show, Good Morning America, ABC News and Martha Stewart Sirius Radio. You can find her on twitter and Facebook.
- Jackie Newgent, RD, CDN, is a media personality, classically trained chef, and author of several cookbooks including the award winning The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook. Her television and radio appearances include The Dr. Oz Show, Good Morning America, World News Now, Food Network’s Follow that Food, and Martha Stewart Sirius Radio. She is a chef instructor with the Institute of Culinary Education and consultant for “Healthy Children Healthy Futures”, a national after school nutrition and fitness program for city kids and parents. You can find her on twitter.
- Janet Helm, RD is author of the blog NutritionUnplugged, Chief Food and Nutrition Strategist at Weber Shandwick and co-founder of Nutrition Blog Network and Healthy Aperture. She is a past media spokesperson for The AND, and has appeared on Good Morning America, The Today Show, ABC News and CNN. She previously taught Nutrition Education at NYU. She believes that food should be enjoyed, not feared, and that taste and health can happily co-exist. You can find her on twitter and Facebook.
- Marisa Moore, MBA, RD, LD is a spokesperson for the AND and speaker in health and nutrition. She previously managed the nutrition worksite wellness program for the US Centers for Disease Control, and is the past-President of the Georgia Dietetic Association. Presently she is a consultant dietitian for Spelman College, blogs for the Huffington Post and has been featured in national publications like The Washington Post, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Cooking Light, Shape Fitness, WebMD, Forbes.com and EverydayHealth.com. You can find her on twitter and Facebook.
- Natalia Hancock, RD is a trained chef combines her love of cooking and her clinical knowledge of nutrition. She is currently Senior Culinary Nutritionist for SPE Certified, which works with restaurants and institutions to create healthy, delicious and sustainable menus. She lives in NYC and is a regular contributor to the SPE blog. You can find her on twitter and SPE certified on Facebook.
Special for this Wednesday, March 13 at 9:30pm ET, Nutrition Entrepreneurs will be having their twitter #NERD chat. Join in tonight and be part of the conversation.
You can also follow #RDDay on twitter throughout the week for more sharing and insight.
TELL ME: Which registered dietitian would you like to show some love to on RD day?Filed under Ask Toby | Comments: more