11 Mar National Nutrition Month Day 11: Plant-Powered For Life
I needed to include one of Sharon Palmer’s cookbooks during National Nutrition Month. Sharon, also known as the Plant Powered Dietitian, has published numerous plant-based cookbooks. In this particular cookbook, you’ll find 125 yummy recipes with over 50 tips for better health. I was recently at a sponsored trip to Napa where Sharon and I got to cook together at the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) many pulse-based recipes. Let me tell you, brownies made with black beans and to die for! Gena, I hope you enjoy them — and more importantly, I know my brother LOVES chocolate as much as I do!
Black Bean Brownies with Walnuts
Active preparation time: 9 minutes
Total preparation time: 54 minutes
Makes 16 servings (one 2 by 2-inch brownie each)
Nonstick cooking spray
One 15-ounce can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained (or 1 ¾ cups cooked)
½ cup honey or agave nectar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons chia seeds (see note)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons canola oil, expeller pressed
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup dairy-free, dark chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
2. Place the black beans, honey, cocoa powder, chia seeds, vanilla, canola oil, and baking powder in a blender. Process until smooth. Scrape down the sides halfway through blending if needed.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
4. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and walnuts evenly across the top of the brownies.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the edges pull away from the side of the pan and the brownies are firm.
6. Cool for a few minutes, and then slice into 16 squares.
-Chia seeds, when combined with liquid, create a gel that can help provide some of the binding power that eggs lend to dishes.
-This makes a chewy, moist brownie
Nutrition Information Per serving: 149 calories, 3 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 99 mg sodium
Star nutrients: Magnesium (10% DV) , Manganese (14% DV)
From Plant-Powered for Life: Eat Your Way to Lasting Health with 52 Simple Steps and 125 Delicious Recipes Copyright © 2014 Sharon Palmer