13 Jul Raspberry Oat Bars
How often do you rush out the door in the morning sans breakfast? These low sugar bars are filled with good for you ingredients. They’re a perfect grab-and-go breakfast or snack for adults and kids.
Choosing Your Ingredients
- Flax seed: Choose ground flax seed (it has a fine texture) as opposed to whole flax seeds in order to reap more nutritional benefits. Plus, whole flax seeds aren’t very easily digested. Ground flax seed is loaded with heart healthy omega-3 and contains a healthy dose of fiber.
- Oats: Read the ingredients and choose oatmeal that lists old fashioned rolled oats as the only ingredient. Oats have been shown to help lower cholesterol and blood pressure and help reduce the risk of heart attacks. The soluble fiber is oats helps slow down digestion, helping you feel full longer.
- Almond slivers: This nut contains heart healthy omega 3’s and the antioxidant vitamin E. I prefer the slivered almonds that still have the skin on the side. Be sure they’re fresh—older almonds will have a rancid taste.
- Raisins: Raisins contain resveratrol, the same compound found in red wine. Resveratrol is a phytochemical antioxidant that helps decrease inflammation. I typically to use golden raisins in recipes since they don’t get hard when cooked and are touches sweeter.
- Raspberry preserves: With or without seeds is up to you, though kids tend to prefer without.
Raspberry Oat Bars
Recipe by my dietetic intern Mary Opfer
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup ground flax seed
¾ cup slivered almonds
1 cup low fat condensed milk
½ cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons seedless raspberry preserves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flax seed, almonds, condensed milk and raisins. Evenly spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Top with raspberry preserve spreading it out using the back of a spoon. Bake for 25 minutes until the edges start turning golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes and cut into 10 squares.
Bars can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Nutrition info per serving:
Total Fat: 7 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 42 grams
Sugar: 27 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Sodium: 36 milligrams
Cholesterol: 4 milligrams