22 Aug Provencal White Bean Stew
Posted at 14:33h in 0 Comments
Provencal White Bean Stew
By: By Gail Watson, Contributing blogger
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 4 grams
- Saturated fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37 grams
- Sodium: 690 milligrams
- Fiber: 12 grams
- Protein: 13 grams
- Cholesterol: <1 gram
This delicious stew is low in fat and packed with fiber and you can make it in a snap using ingredients right out of your pantry. Serve it with crusty bread and a green salad to round out the meal.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans*
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or 99% fat free low sodium chicken broth)
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 generous pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil and then added the garlic. Sauté for one minute, then add the onion and continue to cook until soft and translucent. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes until they release their juice. Add in the beans and about 1 cup of broth.
- Using the back of a spoon, mash some of the beans to thicken the sauce. Then add the remaining 2 cups of broth, thyme, salt pepper and pepper flakes, and simmer for 15 minutes to blend the flavors.
- *Cook’s Note: You may use either canned or freshly cooked beans. If using canned beans you will need three 12-ounce cans, and they should be rinsed before using.