01 Apr Avocado Toast with Balsamic Glaze
Avocado Toast with Balsamic Glaze
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 1 avocado toast
- Calories: 292
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Sodium: 289mg
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 7g
Recipe type: Breakfast, Appetizers & Snacks, Meatless Monday
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Easy 5-Ingredient Healthy: Simple Recipes to Make Healthy Eating Delicious, Rockridge Press, 2018. Photo courtesy of Hélène Dujardin.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 slices 100% whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the vinegar and brown sugar, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the vinegar is reduced by half and thickens. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh from each avocado half onto a slice of toasted bread. Mash the avocado with a fork until it is flattened.
- Top each slice of bread with 5 tomato halves, and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Drizzle about ½ tablespoon of the balsamic glaze on each avocado toast.