28 Aug Butternut Squash Pasta Bake
Posted at 10:22h in 0 Comments
Butternut Squash Pasta Bake
By: Gail Watson, contributing blogger
- Serves: 6
- Calories: 257
- Fat: 10 grams
- Saturated fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 60 grams
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Sodium: 377 milligrams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
The nutty earthy taste of the butternut squash is a taste you will fall in love with in this pasta bake. We used a classic Bechamel sauce for the base, but made it lighter, but no less delicious with skim milk. A layer of toasty Parmesan cheese on top gives it that cheesy finish without weighing you down.
- 3½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne rigate
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes, about 3 cups
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces of Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ and grease a 2 quart baking dish.
- In a large pot, bring 8 to 10 cups of water to a boil and add 2 teaspoons of salt and pasta. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium-large saucepan, place the squash and add water to cover by one inch. Bring to boil and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Reserve one cup of cooking water and drain. Put squash and 1 teaspoon of salt into a food processor and puree smooth. Add some of the cooking water in small increments if necessary to create a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- In a medium-large saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat and add the flour. Cook the paste while stirring for 2 minutes, taking care not to scorch. Add one cup of the milk and quickly stir into a thick paste, then add the rest of the milk and stir smooth. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, pepper and the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add the squash puree and stir smooth. Add the penne and gently toss to combine. Turn the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top, then bake until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.