28 Aug Kale, Green Apples and Pumpkin Seed Salad
Posted at 22:06h in 0 Comments
Kale, Green Apples and Pumpkin Seed Salad
By: Gail Watson, Contributing Blogger
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: about 1-1/2 cups
- Calories: 188
- Fat: 13 grams
- Saturated fat: 1 gram
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17.5 grams
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Sodium: 193 milligrams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Hearty winter greens, such as kale, can add a powerful nutritional punch to your diet.
- 6 cups kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons honey
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seed, or other nuts
- Slice the leaves of the kale away from the tough stems. Wash thoroughly and dry, then chop into small pieces and place into a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the greens and with clean hands, massage the dressing into the leaves by gently squeezing and tossing. The leaves will turn a darker, glossy color.
- Add the apples, onions and pumpkin seeds and toss so that everything is coated with the dressing.
- Serve immediately or allow the greens to marinate for 10-20 minutes for even better flavor.