14 Jan Mac and Cheese with Chicken
Posted at 07:00h in 0 Comments
Mac And Cheese With Chicken
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 2 cups
Recipe type: Main Dish
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Best Rotisserie Chicken Cookbook, Robert Rose, 2020. Photo courtesy of Gail Watson Photography.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 oz elbow macaroni, preferably whole wheat
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk (I used 2%), at room temperature
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used reduced fat), divided
- 1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
- Coat an 8-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray
- Bring a 3-quart saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the elbow macaroni, stir to combine, and boil gently until the pasta is al dente, 7 minutes. Drain and rinse in cool water. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tbsp of the butter. Using a whisk, slowly add the flour and stir to prevent lumps. Add the mustard, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne and cook for 1 minute, whisking occasionally. Add one-third of the milk while whisking. Continue adding one-third more milk while whisking, and then the remaining milk and whisk until smooth. Continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1¼ cups of the cheddar cheese and stir until combined and the mixture is smooth. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Gently fold in the macaroni and chicken until combined.
- Gently pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- To make the bread crumbs, melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the panko bread crumbs and toss to coat, toasting the bread crumbs until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the macaroni dish, and then sprinkle evenly with the bread crumbs.