28 Apr Pear-Pumpkin Seed Muffins
Posted at 07:30h in 0 Comments
Pear-Pumpkin Seed Muffins
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 12 muffins
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 296
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 106 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 9 g
Cuisine: Breakfast, Snack
Copyright Toby Amidor, Smart Meal Prep for Beginners, Rockridge Press, 2018. Photo courtesy of Gail Watson Photography.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup creamy almond or sunflower seed butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat (1%) milk ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 medium pear, diced
- ½ cup unsalted roasted pumpkin seeds, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond butter, yogurt, and milk until smooth. Add the brown sugar, applesauce, and oil, and stir until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, stirring until completely incorporated.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and stir until just blended, being careful not to overmix. Gently fold in the pear and 1⁄4 cup of pumpkin seeds.
- Using a 1⁄4-cup scoop, distribute the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Tap the muffin tin a few times on the counter to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle each muffin cup with 1 teaspoon of pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for about 22 minutes until the tops are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin.
- Storage: Place in an airtight container and keep at room tem- perature for 5 days. To freeze, place in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature. Enjoy at room temperature or toast in a toaster oven.