25 Feb Apple Pie Parfaits
Posted at 07:40h in 0 Comments
Apple Pie Parfaits
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: 1 parfait
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 25 g
- Saturated fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Sugar: 15 g
- Sodium: 70 mg
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 10 mg
Recipe type: Breakfast
Copyright Toby Amidor, Create-Your-Plate Diabetes Cookbook, American Diabetes Association, 2020. Photo courtesy of Mittera.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons stevia brown sugar blend (such as Truvia)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or almond butter
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¼ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- ¼ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1½ tablespoons flaxseed
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the canola oil, brown sugar blend, and sunflower butter until smooth. Set aside.
- Coat a medium saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Add the oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds, and flaxseed and toast until slightly brown and fragrant, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Remove the toasted oat mixture from the saucepan and place in a small bowl.
- Add the oil mixture into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Then quickly turn the heat to low and whisk regularly, until the mixture has slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove the saucepan from the heat and then add the toasted oat mixture. Stir to evenly coat.
- Spread the oat mixture in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Wipe the saucepan clean with a paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the apples and toss to evenly coat.
- In the same saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the apple mixture and cook until the apples have slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to slightly cool.
- While the apples are cooking, mix the yogurt and lemon zest together in a small bowl. In each of 4 parfait glasses, layer ¼ cup of the yogurt, ⅓ cup of the apple mixture, another ¼ cup of yogurt, and top with ¼ cup of the granola.