16 Dec Chicken Thighs in Tomato Sauce with Carrots, Potatoes and Peppers
Posted at 08:00h in 0 Comments
Chicken Thighs in Tomato Sauce with Carrots, Potatoes and Peppers
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: 1⅓ cups
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 315 mg
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 20 g
- Cholesterol: 92 mg
Photo courtesy of Kristen Massad
- 1¼ pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 carrots, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 russet potato, washed, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-added salt crushed tomatoes, with the liquids
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon ground parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken thighs with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ⅛ teaspoon of the ground black pepper.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken thighs and cook until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken and place on a clean plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant, 3 minutes. Add the peppers, carrots, and potatoes and cook until slightly softened for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, cooked chicken, peas, parsley, oregano, thyme, the remaining ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon of the pepper and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the flavors combine and potatoes cook through, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.