15 Oct Chicken with Asian Slaw
Chicken with Asian Slaw
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1¾ cups slaw + 2-3 chicken pieces
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 990mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 28g
Recipe type: Main Dish
Photo courtesy of Gail Watson Photography
- For the chicken
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 4 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 pound skinless chicken tenders
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- For the slaw
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 carrots, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 10 ounce package of shredded green cabbage (about 5 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, garlic, fish sauce, ginger, sriracha, and hoisin sauce; set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Add the chili sauce mixture and toss to combine. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until sauce slightly thickens, 2 minutes.
- To make the slaw, in a small bowl whisk together the fish sauce, brown sugar, and lime.
- In a large bowl, add the carrots, cabbage, red pepper, and cilantro; toss to combine. Drizzle the vegetables with the dressing and toss to evenly coat.
- To serve, place about 2-3 chicken tenders over 1¾ cups of slaw.