03 Sep Egg and Vegetable Bake
Posted at 07:00h in 0 Comments
Egg and Vegetable Bake
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 465 mg
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 194 mg
Photo courtesy of Kristen Massad
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1½ cups thinly sliced white button mushrooms
- 1½ cups low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cups low fat (1%) milk
- 1 teaspoon ground parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-by-8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and let cook until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until everything has just slightly softened, but still firm, about 10 minutes.
- Carefully spoon the vegetables in the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle the vegetables with cheese.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs, milk, parsley, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish over the vegetables and cheese. Bake in the oven until the mixture is set and top is slightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Remove the dish from the oven and allow to slightly cool for 10 minutes before slicing into 6 even pieces and serving.