03 Aug Grilled Steak and Vegetables with Quinoa
Posted at 11:34h in 0 Comments
Grilled Steak and Vegetables with Quinoa
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: ⅔ cup quinoa, 1 cup vegetables, 3 oz steak
- Calories: 320
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Sodium: 344 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Photo courtesy of Kristen Massad
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into ¾-inch coins
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¾-inch coins (9 oz)
- 1 squash, cut into ¾-inch coins (8.25)
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound cremini mushroom, chopped
- ¾ cup dry quinoa
- 1½ cups low sodium beef broth or water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ pound sirloin steak
- Place the carrots, zucchini, and squash into a medium bowl and toss with the Balsamic Vinaigrette. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the mushrooms and cook until softens, about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa, broth, parsley, thyme, and ⅛ teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and allow to slightly cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees Fahrenheit. Coat an oven-proof skillet or grill pan with the cooking spray.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper.
- Heat prepared skillet or grill pan over a high heat. When the pan is hot, add the steak and sear on each side for 3 minutes. Carefully place the pan into the oven and roast until the steak reaches an internal cooking temperature of 145-degrees Fahrenheit, about 12 minutes. Using oven mitts carefully remove the skillet or grill pan and allow to cool stovetop for at least 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the steak from the skillet or grill pan and place on a cutting board to cool and then thinly slice.
- Coat the skillet or grill pan with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the carrots, zucchini, and squash and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes, turning once. Toss the excess marinade. Remove the skillet or grill pan from the heat and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the quinoa on the bottom of a large serving plate and top with the sliced steak and grilled vegetables.