10 Nov Immune-Boosting Brownies
Posted at 11:47h in 0 Comments
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 16 servings
- Serving size: 1 piece
Recipe type: Dessert
Recipe from The Family Immunity Cookbook by Toby Amidor. Published by Robert Rose Books. Photo courtesy of Ashley Lima. All Rights Reserved.
- 8-inch by 8-inch (20 cm) glass baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray
- 7 oz (210 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, cut into several pieces
- 1 can (14 to 19 oz/ 398 to 540 mL) low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) canola oil
- ¾ cup (175 mL) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (1 mL) kosher salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
- ½ cup (125 mL) nonfat milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted dry roasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add 4 oz (125 g) of the chocolate chips and the butter. Microwave on High for 30 seconds, stirring, then microwave for another 30 seconds, until melted. Set the bowl aside and let cool slightly.
- Place the chickpea and canola oil in the blender and purée until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, milk, eggs and vanilla extract until incorporated. Slowly add in the chocolate mixture, whisking until completely combined. Add the chickpea mixture, whisking until completely combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and gently fold until combined. Fold in the remaining 3 oz (90 g) chocolate chips and the walnuts until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and use a spatula to even out the top. Gently tap the dish on the counter several times to remove any air bubbles. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into 2-inch by 2-inch (5 cm by 5 cm) pieces. Serve warm or store covered in the baking dish or in a sealable container at room temperature for up to 5 days.