03 Oct Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
Posted at 20:34h in 0 Comments
Lemon-Blueberry Stuffed French Toast
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 stuffed French toast
- Calories: 379
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 438mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 232mg
Recipe type: Breakfast
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Greek Yogurt Kitchen: More Than 130 Delicious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Day. Grand Central Publishing, 2014. Photo courtesy of Hollan Publishing.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ loaf challah bread, preferably whole wheat
- 1 ¼ cups fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed if frozen)
- ¼ cup nonfat lemon Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat it on the stove over medium-low heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Cut the challah into eight ½-inch-thick slices. Submerge half the slices in the egg mixture, being sure to moisten both sides. Then place soaked slices on the heated skillet and cook until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Spray skillet with cooking spray and repeat with the remaining challah slices.
- To make the filling, mash the blueberries and lemon yogurt together in a small bowl.
- To assemble each stuffed French toast, place 1 piece of French toast on a plate. Spread ¼ cup of the lemon-blueberry mixture over the bread. Top with another piece of French toast, and slice in half. Just before serving, sprinkle the confectioners’ sugar evenly over the stuffed French toast.