22 Aug Lemony Almond Broccoli Rabe with Quinoa and Fresh Ricotta
Lemony Almond Broccoli Rabe with Quinoa and Fresh Ricotta
By: Gail Watson, Contributing blogger
- Calories: 423
- Fat: 19 grams
- Saturated fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40 grams
- Sodium: <1
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 24 grams
This Monday you can get a nutritious dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Often touted as a super food, quinoa is packed with protein and fiber. Steaming the broccoli rabe turns it a bright green and preserves vitamins A, C and K. The almonds add heart healthy fat and a delicious crunch.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe, about 12 ounces, rinsed and stems trimmed
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups fresh part skim ricotta
- 1 lemon, zested and sliced into wedges
- In a medium saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil; add quinoa and salt. Bring back to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for about 12 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan warm the oil over medium heat and gently cook the garlic for 2 minutes. Add the almonds and pepper flakes (if using) to the pan and while constantly stirring, toast the almonds to a golden brown, about 5 minutes. Scrape the almonds into a bowl and set aside, reserving the oil in the pan.
- Reheat the pan with the reserved oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli rabe and sauté for 2 minutes; turn the stalks over and sauté another 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of water to the pan and cover with a lid to steam for 1 minute. Remove the lid, sprinkle the rabe with salt, and cook until the water has evaporated, about 1 more minute.
- To serve, fluff the quinoa and divide onto four plates. Top with equal portions of broccoli rabe and ricotta. Squeeze lemon juice over each plate. Top with a sprinkling of lemon zest and the reserved toasted almonds.