26 Oct Root Vegetable and Bean Soup
Posted at 15:20h in 3 Comments
Root Vegetable and Bean Soup
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Sodium: 477 mg
- Fiber: 10 g
- Protein: 9 g
Recipe type: Dinner
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook: Easy and Wholesome Meals to Cook, Pre, Grab, and Go, Rockridge Press, 2017. Photo courtesy of Nat & Cody Gantz
- 1 packed cup baby spinach 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped 1 medium carrot, chopped 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, chopped 1 medium turnip, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium
- kidney beans, drained
- and rinsed
- 6 cups low-sodium
- vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free mirin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground
- black pepper
- Stack the spinach leaves, roll them up, and then slice into ribbons. Work in batches if needed.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil until it shimmers. Add the onion, carrot, celery, parsnip, and turnip, and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, and stir to combine. Add the vegetable broth, mirin, and bay leaves, and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the spinach ribbons and black pepper.
REFRIGERATE: Store the cold soup in a resealable container for up to 1 week. Reheat in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Single servings can be reheated in the microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes.
FREEZE: Store the cooled soup in individual freezer-safe containers or in one large container for up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Single servings can be reheated in the microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes.