14 Feb Zippy’s Shakshuka
Posted at 07:26h in 0 Comments
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 6 servings
- Serving size: 1 egg + ½ cup sauce
- Calories: 153
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Sodium: 469mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 9g
Recipe type: Breakfast, Main Dishes (Vegetarian)
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook: Easy and Wholesome Meals to Cook, Prep, Grab, and Go, Rockridge Press, 2017. Photo courtesy of Gail Watson Photography.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 6 large eggs
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until it shimmers. Add the onions and bell pepper and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, cilantro, salt, black pepper, and sriracha. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes to let the flavors blend together.
- Break 1 egg into a wine glass. Gently pour the egg into the pan along the outer edge. Repeat with the remaining 5 eggs so a circle is formed with the eggs along the outer edge of the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook until the eggs are poached, about 6 minutes.
- If meal prepping: Place the shakshuka in six individual containers, each including one egg topped with sauce. Store for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1 minute and let it cool for 2 minutes to allow the heat to evenly distribute.