15 May Spanish-Style Chicken in Tomato Sauce
Posted at 23:49h in 0 Comments
Spanish-Style Chicken in Tomato Sauce
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1-3/4 cups
- Calories: 476
- Fat: 31 grams
- Saturated fat: 8 grams
- Trans fat: 0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 23 grams
- Sodium: 785 milligrams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 30 grams
Recipe type: Main Dishes (Meat, Chicken, Fish)
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Easy 5-Ingredient Healthy: Simple Recipes to Make Healthy Eating Delicious, Rockridge Press, 2018. Photo courtesy of Hélène Dujardin.
- 1-1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup halved and pitted green olives, for garnish (optional)
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1⁄4 teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes, flipping once, until both sides are browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook until translucent, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the peppers and mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet and toss to coat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and stir to combine.
- Serve warm garnished with the parsley and olives, if desired, or freeze for later.