24 Sep Wild Blueberry Whole-Grain Scones
Posted at 08:00h in 0 Comments
Wild Blueberry Whole-Grain Scones
By: Toby Amidor
- Serves: 12 scones
- Serving size: 1 scone
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
Recipe from The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook by Toby Amidor and published by Rockridge Press. All rights reserved. Photo courtesy of Gail Watson Photography
- Cooking spray
- 11⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 3⁄4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen dried wild blueberries, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 400oF. Coat two baking sheets with the cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat pastry flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, egg, oil, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Gently fold in the blueberries, making sure to evenly distribute them throughout the batter.
- Drop generous 1⁄3 cups of batter onto the baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of room all around each scone.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of 1 or 2 scones comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Let the scones cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling for 10 minutes more.